Caught In Time Northwoods Wisconsin Memories and Gifts - Hungry Musky Gift Shop
Tell 'em you found 'em in The Hungry Musky!
Tales of Lac Courte Oreilles
Recollections from those who settled its shorelines
Compiled by the History Committee of
Courte Oreilles Lakes Association (COLA)
and Edited by Sue & Tom Burgess
About the Book
History is but a firefly, darting about the northern woods on a warm summer's night. If one doesn't capture and bottle it, this illusive critter takes flight and disappears. Even to clear minds, those events of yesteryear -- both significant and memorable -- tend to fade like images in the morning fog. If we don't "bottle it," so to speak, what once provided clues as to why we are and where we are might well be buried with our forefathers.
Several years ago, members of Courte Oreilles
Lakes Association (COLA) formed a history committee and began
assembling evidence of our collective past on Big Lac Courte
Oreilles and Little Lac Courte Oreilles (hereafter referred together
as Lac Courte Oreilles). We sought to capture the essence of
Courte Oreilles magic, the figurative magnet that keeps drawing
us closer to this northern Shangri-La. The fever of discovery
quickened in 2001, and our attentions focused on collating mounds
of information and puting it on paper, forever preserving our
heritage. Committee members rode the shorelines, knocked on doors
and engaged knowledgeable neighbors in fireside chats with the
tape recorder running. We visited libraries, called on historical
societies and begged for maps, documents and photos. The results
of our efforts have been condensed and are written on the following
pages of "Tales of Lac Courte Oreilles." The book follows
the shoreline, stopping at historically prominent bays, points
and developments, and in all cases, noting those people and events
that created legends. We talk about our Ojibwe brothers and sisters
as well as the white settlers who arrived after them.
10553 S Main St # J
Hayward, WI 54843
Tom & Sue Burgess
15171W Circle Rd.
Hayward, WI 54843
Moccasin Resort provided lodging and American Plan
meals until a fire destroyed the lodge in 1966.
The second log cabin, built in the 1920s by the Pattersons, owned by the
Seligs in 1941 and sold to the Tickners in 1957. It was sold to
POPCA in 1962.